Ships Passing in the Night

Sunday, May 01, 2005

1.4

Sûlmain sat on the steps of the Dragonhorse Inn, waiting on Tabindur to return. He stared into his mug and saw it was nearly empty. Lifting it, he downed the last dregs. With a flick he sent the remaining drops to land in bushes at the corner of the porch. Hurry up will you. Tabindur left about an hour ago to get the wenches that he had paid for in advance. If nobles were useful for little else, at least they had the ability to supply quality services. Sûlmain considered wandering in after another ale while he gazed at the moon. It hung high in the sky, and its fullness cast a bright light upon the town.

“Sûlmain.”

The apprentice yanked his head around to see the source of the voice. At the end of the porch stood a woman wrapped in a dark brown cloak. The hood over her head hid her features.

“Are you my present?” he asked.

She slowly walked toward him. As she removed her cowl, he could tell that she was older than he, perhaps the age of his mother. A long scar ran down her cheek. Beautiful she was not.

“If it is gifts you seek this night, young apprentice, then it is me that you seek.”
“Phhtt! Surely you jest. If you are my gift, I’m going to have to purchase a bag to put over your head.” Sûlmain stood and turned toward the inn’s entrance.

The strange woman’s eyes grew slim at the insult, and something deep within them flickered. This flicker startled Sûlmain. It was…unnatural. He stopped in his tracks. “Who are you, woman?”

“I bear a gift,” she replied coldly.

“I do not care whether you bear twins. What I asked was ‘who are you?’ Give me your name, crone.”

“Crone,” she said, “will suffice for now.” From her cloak she withdrew a crystal on a thong. As she held it aloft, it sparkled in the moonlight. As she fondled the gem, it seemed to leap at her touch. “I have been charged with presenting this to you on your twenty-first anniversary.” Since Sûlmain’s eyes were drawn to the gem, he failed to notice her glaring intensely at him. “Twenty one years ago, a man came to my cave. He cast a curse on me that forced my allegiance. After I give this to you, I will be free of my charge.”

“Why should I believe you?”

“Your eyes tell me that you have no choice.” She reached out the thong and Sûlmain took it from her hand. As he held it high, he could see an unnatural flame dancing in its depths.

In the back of his mind, Sûlmain realized that the reference to the cave meant that she was obviously a witch. Furthermore, she had that air about her. He tucked the gem in his pouch and gazed deep into her eyes. “Your duty is done. The curse is broken. Go your way, and bother me no more.”

Sûlmain turned and walked up the steps toward the doors of the inn. A raven fluttered overhead, causing him to duck. Gazing over his shoulder, he saw the witch was gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home