Ships Passing in the Night

Saturday, April 23, 2005

1.3

It was many years ago. As the sun descended behind the mountains, the rocks glowed a pleasant red. Fireflies had already come out of hiding and began their evening dance. Sûlmain watched the lightshow against the backdrop of darkened woods with a sense of inner peace.

He thought to himself, I could ask no more on my 21st anniversary. The sun in the heavens, the rocks of the earth, the insects of the field…they all honor the day of my birth.

As Sûlmain continued to absorb the experience, he heard a pair of unmistakable feet pattering up the hill behind him. “Tabindur.”

Panting, the other young lad arrived at his side. “Sûlmain, what are ye doin’ out here on ye anniversary? Ye should be readying yuirself for our…uh, ‘excursion’ this eve.” The two of them had planned to go into town to celebrate Sûlmain’s 21st. Although Tabindur was not an apprentice, he was a friend. And more importantly, he was going to help Sûlmain slip out from under the eye of a Master who disapproved of drunken whoring.

“I know,” replied Sûlmain dryly. “But I wanted some quiet before the festivities began.”

“Well, if ye wanna go, then ye better be preparin’ back at the manor. The Master’s gonna want ye to do stuff before he really lets ye outta his sight.”

“I’m already out of his sight. Perhaps it’s best I don’t go back until afterward.”
Tabindur looked at Sûlmain suspiciously. “Are ye sure that it’s the best course?”

Sûlmain sighed. Simpleton. “Tabindur, you know I highly prize your advice. I would be a fool not to listen to one raised in the wisdom of nobility. However, I think I know best in this instance.”

“Hrumph!” Tabindur looked condescendingly at Sûlmain. “Ye’ve always been a damn poor liar, wizard’s apprentice. Ye listen to none but yuirself. If yuir gonna survive at court, then ye better get better at that…lyin’ that is, not listenin’ only to yuirself. Shall we go then?”


“Fair enough. Lead the way.” Simpleton, indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home